DUNN, ANDREW

(fl. 1800-1820)

Miniature Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

He was a pupil of F. West in the Dublin Society's Schools. He practised for some time as a miniature painter chiefly in Waterford and Kilkenny, and then went to London; but returned to Ireland in 1808, and held an exhibition of his miniatures at the Royal Dublin Society's House as a preliminary to commencing practice in Dublin. This was described in the papers of the day as "a noble and splendid exhibition." Amongst the miniatures so exhibited were portraits of the "Archbishop of Dublin"; the "Archbishop of Cashel"; the "Earl of Arran"; "Viscount Powerscourt"; "Lord Monck"; "Lord Lorton"; the "Bishop of Down"; the "Bishop of Cloyne"; the "Provost of Trinity College"; the "Countess of Normanton"; and the "Countess of Fingal."

He does not, however, appear to have been successful in establishing a practice in Dublin; he returned to London, and in the following year, 1809, sent over three miniatures to the exhibition of the Society of Artists in Dublin. From 1810 to 1814 he was living in Great Portland Street. In the former year he sent four miniatures for exhibition in Dublin: "Richard Kirwan," "Sir Charles Vernon," "Samuel Rosborough," "Mr. Moreau," and "a Lady of Quality." In 1811 he sent a "Portrait of Princess Charlotte of Wales," and a "Portrait of an Artist"; and in each of the years 1814 and 1815 two portraits, not miniatures. His last contribution was in 1819, when he again exhibited a "Portrait of Sir Charles Vernon." At the Royal Academy he was an exhibitor from 1804 to 1815. Dunn was living at 16 Norton Street, Fitzroy Square, in 1820, after which date there is no further notice of him. A miniature of "Harriet daughter of George Kiernan," signed and dated 1807, belongs to Colonel Johnston, Kilmore, County Armagh.

« Dunchad | Contents and Search | John Dunn »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook