Thurles Social Organizations - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

The Thurles Club was established about ten years ago, and has less than 50 members. Subscription £2 a year; no entrance fee. The rooms are in Main-street, next to Hayes’ Hotel. Management is undertaken by a committee of 9 members. Lieut.-Col. J. A. Prendergast is secretary.

The Thurles Young Men’s Society was established about six years ago. It has a house and hall on the Mall, and 100 members, paying a subscription each of 10s. Entrance fee 5s. Library, reading and billiard rooms are features. Rev. Thos. Fennelly, Adm., is president, Mr. P. Kirwan and Mr. James Butler, secretaries, and Mr. P. Finn, treasurer.

The Thurles Branch of the G.A.A. has nearly 200 members. Rev. John Ryan is president, Mr. James Butler, secretary, and Mr. A. Callanan, treasurer.

The Thurles Lawn Tennis Club was established in 1884, and has 70 members. Subscription £1, single; family 30s. Mr. Robert MacBeth is secretary and treasurer. There are four grass courts. It has been customary to hold two annual tournaments in August, one for members and the other open.

Book of County Tipperary

Find a copy of Bassett’s Book of County Tipperary