Roscrea Social Organizations - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

The Roscrea Lawn Tennis Club was established over two years ago. It has four grass courts one mile out of town. The subscriptions arc £1 and 10s.; non-playing members 5s. each. The membership consists of some 30 families. Mr. Sidney E. Smith is secretary and Mr. B. Maziere Prentice, treasurer.

The Damer Lawn Tennis Club was established in 1887. It has two grass courts near the Railway station, and about 30 members. Subscription 5s. and 2s. 6d. Mr. John Dart is captain and Mr. Geo. Lucas secretary and treasurer.

The Roscrea Catholic Club was established in 1883. It succeeded the Young Men’s Society which had been in existence nearly 20 years. The club house is in Abbey-street. There are 100 members paying a yearly subscription each of 6s. A library, reading room and bagatelle room are among the attractive features. In winter, dramatic performances, lectures, concerts, etc., serve to sustain the interest. Count O’Byrne is President, Mr. David O’Reilly, treasurer, Rev. John M‘Inerney, C.C., and Mr. John McCarthy, secretaries.

The Roscrea Young Men’s Christian Association has been in existence for about 30 years, and has 48 members. The annual subscription is 4s. The object of the organization is the “improvement of the spiritual, moral, and mental condition of the Protestant young men of this neighborhood.” Dr. B. C. Powell is President, Mr. R. A. Eaton, sol. and Mr. R. E. Rhodes, secretaries, and Mr. R. Hevyll-Rafter, librarian. The Grand Jury sold the gaol to the Association a few years ago, and it has since built a fine hall at the rere for musical and literary entertainments.

The Roscrea Cycling Club was established in 1886. It has 23 members paying a subscription each of 2s. 6d. Mr. Thomas Rhodes is President, Mr. E. H. Earle, captain, and Mr. John R. Fitzgerald, secretary.

The Midland Counties Club was established in 1889. Its house adjoins Quinn’s Hotel, Castle-street. The scale for annual subscriptions, etc., is as follows: Under 5 miles radius £1 10s.. entrance fee £3 3s.; over 5 miles and under 10 miles £1 1s., entrance £3 3s.; over 10 miles £1 1s., no entrance fee. The management is attended to by a committee of six members. Mr. R. A. Eaton and Mr. Joseph Keatinge are secretaries, and Mr. B. Mazière Prentice, treasurer.

Book of County Tipperary

Find a copy of Bassett’s Book of County Tipperary