Nenagh Churches, Convent, Christian Brothers - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

As already stated, the Catholic Church stands close to the ruin of the Franciscan Abbey, in Chapel-street. It was built less than fifty years ago on the site of a church that was accidentally burned while repairs were being done to the organ. The present edifice is cruciform, with spacious interior. Mural tablets commemorate Very Rev. Patrick O’Mally, P.P., V.G., 1879; Rev. Daniel Murphy, P.P., 1818. “This edifice raised by labors of his piety”; Very Rev. Ambrose O’Connor, P.P., V.G., 1849; Right Rev. Danl. Vaughan, Catholic Bishop of Killaloe, 1859.

The Protestant Church is a handsome edifice, in the Gothic style, with graceful spire. It occupies a pretty site off Summerhill, with the castle in the background. The consecration took place December 19, 1860. It consists of nave and one aisle divided by four arches. A stained window in the chancel commemorates Rev. James Hill Poe, 1859; the lectern, lacquered brass, was presented in memory of Ven. Archdeacon Bowles, 1888; mural tablets bear the names of Richard Wills Gason, 1844; Anne, his widow, 1860; Geo. Guy Atkinson, J.P., 1872, and his son, Surgeon Major Geo. Atkinson, 1880; John B. Corneille, 1859, and Benjamin Corneille, 1868; Kate Marion, wife of J. R. Minnitt, M.B., 1884; John Burr Fletcher, M.D., 1847; Peter Holmes, 1864; Major J. H. Dundas, 1867; Percy J. Poe, 1883; Blanch Poe, 1834; George Finch, 1832; Col. Symon Finch, 1684; Mary, wife of Symon, 1678; Wm. Finch, 1779; Edward Finch, 1834. There are stained windows to memory of Geo. Frith, M.D., 1873, and Major J. H. Dundas, 1867. The old parish church in Barrack-street, was built in 1813, and used until 1860. The mural monuments were removed to the new edifice.

The Methodist Church is in Silver-street. It is a plain structure. Services are held by the minister of Cloughjordan.

St. Joseph’s Convent of the Christian Brothers is situated between Silver and Pound-streets. Buildings, play-ground and garden occupy about three-quarters of an acre. There are four schools with about 400 pupils, taught by five brothers. The schools were established in 1862. Rev. Bro. Joseph Leddy is superior.

The Sisters of Mercy came to Nenagh about the year 1854 from Birr. In 1888 the principal portion of the gaol was given to them, and they now use the governor’s house for a convent. In the other buildings a National School of 300 girls is taught. The workhouse hospital is in charge of the sisters, and they expect to receive a grant for an industrial school.

Book of County Tipperary

Find a copy of Bassett’s Book of County Tipperary