Cashel Churches, Convent, Societies - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

The Protestant Church in John-street, serves the purposes of a cathedral and parish church. It was erected in 1783, succeeding an edifice which was used by the parishioners of St. John the Baptist and St. Patrick’s Rock, after it had been decided that the old cathedral could not be restored. It is a large building of limestone, with a tower and graceful spire. A handsome chancel was added about seventeen years ago. In this there is a fine stained window, purchased by subscription, headed by the Dean, Very Rev. A. H. Leech. It also contains the organ, an instrument over a hundred years old. The pulpit, caen stone and marble, commemorates Archbishop Brodrick, 1822. Mural tablets, serving a like purpose, bear the names of Barbara Hemphill, 1858; Rev. Anthony Edwards, 1836; Edward Grubb, 1878; John M. Bushe, 1870; Archbishop Lawrence, 1838; James Graham, M.D., 1870, and John Hare, 1865.

The Catholic Church is a spacious structure in Friar-street. It has a decorated gable, springing from which is a tower, surmounted by a dome. An ancient sculptured stone coffin, at the main entrance, is used for holy-water. In 1889 the interior of the church was thoroughly renovated under the auspices of the Dean, Very Rev. T. H. Kinane, P.P., who raised a substantial fund in the parish for the purpose. His plan included the purchase of a new high altar, stained windows, embellishment of walls, reseating in pitch-pine, etc. A handsome monument, with marble figure, occupies a prominent position. It was erected by the people of Cashel, to the memory of Very Rev. James McDonnell, P.P., V.G., and Dean of Cashel, who, during a period of 41 years “had devoted his whole being to their spiritual welfare.” Died 1855. Other mural monuments commemorate Very Rev. John Ryan, Roman Prelate. Chaplain to His Holiness Pope Pius VII., President of the Irish college in Paris, and Dean of Cashel, where he died in 1830; Very Rev. Dr. Richard Wright, P.P., 1821; Very Rev. Wm. Quirke, P.P., Dean and V.G., of the Archdiocese, 1887; Archdeacon Laffan, V.G., P.P., 1868.

A Methodist Church, dating from 1832, occupies a recess in the Main-street. Exterior and interior are plain. The congregation is very small at present. Services are held periodically by a circuit minister.

The Presentation Convent was founded at Cashel in 1830. Three sisters came from the Mother house at Thurles for the purpose. Now there are 38 choir nuns. Since that period the outlay on buildings has aggregated £15,000. Included in grounds, etc., there are eleven statute acres. A handsome chapel was built in 1865, and enlarged in 1885. One of the features of this is a beautiful high altar, presented by a friend. The work of the sisters includes the teaching of a National school, with from 300 to 400 pupils, and an industrial school, certified for 110 girls in 1869. Irish point-lace, made by girls of this school, was awarded a bronze medal at the Cork Exhibition, 1883, and a silver medal at the last Paris Exhibition.

The Rock Club was established about forty years ago. Its house is in the Main-street. There are about forty members paying an annual subscription each of £2. It is managed by a committee, of which Mr. Jas. J. Chadwick is secretary.

The Cashel Commercial Club is domiciled in John-street. It was established over seven years ago, and has about fifty members paying a subscription each of four shillings a quarter. Mr. Thomas Moloney is president, Mr. Thomas Feehan, treasurer, and Mr. Michael Cantwell, secretary.

There are two branches of the G.A.A. in Cashel and vicinity. Both have about fifty members each. Of the first Mr. Martin Burke is president, Mr. Jos. Ryan, sec. and treasurer, and Mr. Denis Hennessy, captain. Of the second, Mr. John Ryan is president, Mr. R. O’Dwyer, secretary, Mr. P. J. Ryan, treasurer, and Mr. Thomas Devitt, captain. References to the local races and harriers will be found at pages 47 and 41.

Book of County Tipperary

Find a copy of Bassett’s Book of County Tipperary