Carrick-on-Suir Benevolent and Social Organizations - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

A Clothing Society managed by a committee of ladies does good service to the poor of the town. Miss O’Donnell, Main-street, is secretary. A branch of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul in the parish of St. Nicholas, has about twenty-two active members and twelve honorary members. Rev. Paul Power, C.C., is spiritual director, Mr. Patrick Bourke, president, Mr. Michael Power, treasurer, and Mr. Malachi Meagher, secretary. The funds from subscriptions of members are largely supplemented by donations, bequests, etc. Rev. Thos. Lynch, C.C., a native of Carrick, at his decease less than two years ago, left a house to the society, and Very Rev. R. Fitzgerald, P.P., bequeathed £100.

The Independent Club, non-political, main-street, was established in 1888. There were 50 members in November of that year, paying an annual subscription each of ten shillings. It has a reading room, billiard room and bar. Mr. Thomas Egan is president, Mr. James Walsh, V.P., Mr. James Fitzgerald, treasurer, and Mr. James O’Neill, secretary.

The Readings’ Club was established in 1870 and has about a dozen members. It has a room in the town hall, and occasionally gives literary and musical entertainments for charitable objects.

The working men have a social club in Mill-street.

The Young Ireland Society, John Mitchel Branch, was established in 1884, and has a house in John-street. Between 80 and 90 members pay a weekly subscription of 3d. each. Reading rooms and a bagatelle table are features. Mr. Ml. O’Neill is president, Mr. Ml. Dowdall, V.P., Mr. Ml. Phelan treasurer, and Mr. James Hearn, secretary. There is a brass band in connection with the society.

A reading room in the Town Hall, managed by Mr. Ml. Power and Mr. Thomas Cleary, has between 60 and 70 members, who pay six shillings a year each,

The Carrick-on-Suir Club, off Castle-street, was established in 1866. There are 72 members. The annual subscription was reduced from £1 to 10s. Mr. John Hurley is president, Mr. P. J. Sheehan, secretary, and Mr. John Loughman, treasurer. It is a temperance club. The attractive features are reading and billiard rooms.

The Charles J. Kickham branch of the G.A.A. was established over three years ago. It has about 80 members. Mr. R. Grey is president, Mr. W. P. O’Keeffe, secretary, and Mr. Thomas Kearney, treasurer.

The Cricket Club has about 17 members; Mr. J. P. Kennedy is secretary. A Lawn Tennis Club has about 20 members; Mr. Thos. A. Brunker is secretary, and Mr. Richd. Dooly, treas.

Book of County Tipperary

Find a copy of Bassett’s Book of County Tipperary