Edward Smyth

From A Compendium of Irish Biography, 1878

« Sir William Cusack Smith | Index | Brigadier-General Thomas A. Smyth »

Smyth, Edward, a sculptor, was born in the County of Meath in 1746. He was indentured to Verpoyle, an Italian sculptor residing in Dublin, and early gave tokens of considerable genius. His first public work was the statue of Dr. Lucas, now in the City Hall, Dublin. The figures on the Bank of Ireland, Four Courts, and King's Inns are from his chisel, as is also the ornamentation on the Custom House and Castle Chapel, Dublin. "He was a man of singular modesty and retired habits. His genius qualified and his respectable family entitled him to mix with the best society; but he was embarrassed in such company, and he unfortunately sought for other less respectable, but where he felt himself more at ease." He died in 1812.

Sources

110b. Dublin, History of, by Whitelaw, Warburton, and Walsh. 2 vols. London, 1818.

« Sir William Cusack Smith | Index | Brigadier-General Thomas A. Smyth »