Balbriggan (from Thom's Almanac and General Directory, 1862: County Dublin Directory).

BALBRIGGAN, a maritime town in Balrothery parish, Balrothery east barony, county of Dublin, 22 miles N. by E. from Dublin, comprising an area of 180 acres. Population, 2,308, inhabiting 500 houses. It is situate on the eastern coast, and on the Drogheda railway, of which it forms the ninth station from Dublin. It owes its origin to the late Baron Hamilton, who, in 1780, raised it from a small fishing village to a town of some manufacturing if not commercial importance, by the introduction of the cotton manufactures, for which he erected two large factories, and contributed largely by the erection of a pier for the improvement of the harbour. His descendants (particularly the present proprietor in fee, George Alex. Hamilton, esq.,) have done much to extend and improve the town and harbour, and forward its manufacturing and commercial prosperity. The public buildings are, the Church or Chapelry of St. George, with a square embattled tower, a Roman Catholic Chapel, a Wesleyan Methodist Meeting House, the Sessions' Court House, and Market House. It has a Dispensary, and here is also a Parochial School. Quarter and Petty Sessions are held here, the latter on every alternate Tuesday. It is the station of a Sub-Inspector of the Constabulary Police of the county, and at the Martello Tower on the Strand there is a Coastguard Station. The market for corn is on Monday, of which large quantities are sent to Dublin, or exported to Liverpool, for which latter purpose there are extensive corn stores on the quay. The market for provisions is on Saturday, and fairs are held on 29th April and 29th September for cattle. In the town and neighbourhood there are upwards of 400 looms employed in weaving. The chief articles wrought are fustians, checks, jeans, and calicoes, and the embroidering of muslin is carried on extensively, and here are also made a superior description of fine cotton stockings, well known for the last century as the "Balbriggan hosiery," in which there are at present about 40 cotton frames employed. In the town there is a tan yard and salt works. The fishery, prior to the withdrawal of the bounties, was extensive. The commerce of Balbriggan is chiefly in the coasting trade, and in the import of coals, bark, and salt, and the export of corn, meal, and flour. In 1835 the estimated value of the imports were £11,392, and the exports, £5,417. The old harbour is safe for vessels of 150 tons burden, and is a good roadstead for such vessels at three-quarter tide. The inner harbour is formed by a pier 420 feet in length, with a curve of 105 feet extending westerly, in which there are 14 feet water at full tide. It was completed in 1829 at an expense of nearly £3,000, partly by a grant of £1,569 from the late Fishery Board, £100 from the Marquess of Landsdowne, and the remainder by the then proprietor, the late Rev. George Hamilton. At the end of the pier there is a Lighthouse, 35 feet above high water; it is a fixed light, and can be seen 10 miles in clear weather. The Drogheda railway crosses the harbour by a noble viaduct of 11 arches, 30 feet span, and 35 feet high, on each side of which there is a metal flooring, resting on the piers, forming a handsome promenade for the use of the inhabitants.

MAGISTRATES ATTENDING PETTY SESSIONS, every alternate Tuesday--Viscount Gormanstown, Gormanstown Castle; George Woods, esq., Milverton; George A. Hamilton, esq., Hampton hall; Thos. Baker, esq., Courtlongh; John Madden, esq., Inchhouse; Geo. Macartney, esq., Lowther lodge ; Henry H. Hamilton, esq.; John Baker, esq.; George F. Blackburne, esq.--Clerk, Thomas Wray.

POST OFFICE--Hen. Joynson, postm.


Baker, Thos. esq. J.P. Courtlough
Baker, John,esq. J.P. Fancourt-terrace
Bankhead, J. B. esq.Fancourt-terrace
Blackburne, The Misses, Fancourt-ter.
Blackburne, Geo. F. esq. J.P. George's-st.
Croker, Mrs. Belcamp
Caddell, Robt. esq. Harbourstown ho.
Ellis, Arthur, esq. sol. Tankerville
Fenton, James, esq. George's-street
Filgate, Townley, esq. Lowther Lodge
Gilbert, Miss, Bremore Cottage
Gormanstown, Lord Viscount, Gormanstown Castle
Grogan, Rev. John, vicar, Balrothery glebe
Hamilton, Geo. Alex. esq. J.P. Hampton hall
Hamilton, Rev. Robert, Vicar of Naul, Seapoint Hamilton, Hen. A. esq. J.P. George's-st.
Hayden, Charles, esq. sub-inspector of Constabulary, George's-street
Jameson, James, esq. Delvin lodge
Johnston, John, esq. Hacketstown
Keogh, Rev. Matthew, P.P.
M'Evoy, Francis, surgeon, F.R.C.S.I., Dublin-street
M'Gee, Rev. Joseph, c.c.
Macartney, George, esq. J.P. Lowther lodge
Macartney, Miss, Lowther lodge
Metcalf, Rev. Edwd. perpetual curate, George's-street
Moore, Silvester, Dublin-street
O'Brien, Rev. John, c.c.
O'Connell, Rev. Charles, P.P.
O'Reilly, Miss, George's-square
O'Reilly, Myles, esq. J.P. Knockingin
O'Reilly, P. M.D. Bridge-street
Preston, Hon. T. Gormanstown Castle
Taylor, Colonel, M.P. Ardgillan Castle
Walsh, John, esq. Stedalt
Walsh, Wm. esq. J.P. Stedalt house
Woods, George, esq. J.P. Milverton
Woods, Hans Hamilton, esq. Whitestown house
Yeates, Mason, esq. Grangemount


Dennis, Geo. gunsmith, Hampton-st.
Markey, Peter, earthenware dealer, Bridge-street
Murphy, Edward, tanner, Drogheda-st.
Skelly, John, pumpmaker, Chapel-st.
Walker, Chris, nailmak. Drogheda-st.


Huston, Susan, George's-square


Cumiskey, Charles, Drogheda-stree
Murphy, Edward, Drogheda-street


Denis, George, Hampton-street
Landy, Richard, Dublin-street
M'Gary, Patrick, Clonard-street
Malone, Thomas, Dublin-street
Purfield, Edward, Mill-street


Cunningham, William
Graham, James, Bridge-street
Wilson, Richard


Bergin, Daniel, Clonard-street
Corcoran, John, George's-square
M'Manus, John
Rogers, Bernard, Bridge-street


Bissett, John, Dublin-street
Keegan, John, Dublin-street
Riley, John, Chapel-street
Scott, William, Hampton-street


Sherlock, Maria, Drogheda-street


Cumisky, Chas. & Thos. Drogheda-st.
Hamlet, Joseph, Mill-street
Markey, Peter, Bridge-street


Kelly, John, Dublin-street
Murphy, Edward, Drogheda-street
Payne, Thomas, Drogheda-street
Sharkey, Bernard, Drogheda-street
Wilson, John, Clonard-street


Appleyard, Henry, Dublin-street
Pike, William and Thomas
Smyth and Co. Drogheda-street
Wilson and Son, Drogheda-street


Byrne, Jane
Clinton, Patrick
Monks, Edward, Drogheda-street
Seaver, Mary, Hamilton Arms hotel, Bridge-street
Sweetman, Sarah, Mill-street


Maher, Thomas, Drogheda-street
Moss, Sigismund S. Mill-street
Murphy, Mary, Dublin-street
Wray, Thomas, Bridge-street


Cumiskey, Charles and Thos. cotton, Drogheda-street
Moss, Sigismund S. power-loom linen, Lower mill
Sharkey, Bernard


Cassidy, James, Dublin-street
Connor, Patrick, Drogheda-street
Curry, William, Drogheda-street


Clinton, Patrick, Drogheda-street
Leach, William, Dublin-street
M'Gary, William, Mill-street
Monks, Patrick, Bridge-stree
Willis, Michael, Chapel-street


Bissett, James, George's-square
Duff, Thomas, Clonard-street


For boys--Mr. Ross
For girls--Miss Scott


Clinton, Patrick, Drogheda-street
Connell, John, George's-square
Murphy, Mary, Dublin-street


Darcy, Edward, Drogheda-street
Neill, Patrick, George's-square
Sharp, Daniel, Drogheda-street


Leech, William, Dublin-street
Riley, John, Chapel-street


M'Dowal, John, Dublin-street