Abbeydorney, Abbey-O’dorney, or Montnagee (Barony of Clanmorris, County Kerry)

From The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1844

ABBEYDORNEY, ABBEY-O’DORNEY, or MONTNAGEE, a village in the parish of O’Dorney, barony of Clanmaurice, co. Kerry, Munster. It stands near the river Brick, and on the west road from Limerick to Tralee; 5 miles east by north of Tralee, and 8 south-west by south of Listowel. Area 16 acres. Pop., in 1831, 338; in 1841, 418. Houses 57. The abbey from which the place derives its name was founded in 1154, called Kyrie Eleison, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was colonized with Cistertian monks from the abbey of Magio, in the county of Limerick; and its abbot sat as a lord in parliament. The abbey and its possessions were conferred, at the dissolution, on Edmund Lord Kerry, who was created Baron O’Dorney in 1537; but they were to revert to the crown in the event of a default of heirs male; and some of the lands were granted by Queen Elizabeth to the provost, fellows, and scholars, of Trinity college, Dublin. The ruins which remain are of no note.