From the Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory for 1910
|Griffith's Valuation for the Union of Newtownards 1863|
|view sample pages »||order »|
BANGOR, CO. DOWN
Twelve miles from Belfast.
Parish and Urban District. Is the principal Sea Bathing Resort in North of Ireland. The town is very ancient, and was once world-famous as a seat of learning. The Abbey, portion of the remains of which are still visible, was founded in the sixth century by St. Comgall. It was destroyed by the Danes in 821; no less than 900 of the resident monks being put to death by these invaders. Within the last thirty years the town has become noted as a residential district, and during the past few years municipal improvements have been greatly accelerated. The population at the 1901 census was 5,903; it is now estimated at between 8,000 and 9,000, and in the summer months is more than doubled by the large number of visitors who rake up temporary residence. There is a convenient harbour for local trade, and an extensive promenade pier, from which passenger steamers ply in the summer months. The shore of the western side of the bay has recently been laid out as "marine gardens," greatly adding to the beauty of the promenade which skirts the bay. There are numerous fine churches, public halls, and schools, and ample shops for the supply of all requirements. There are also a large number of hotels. The outdoor bathing facilities are very good, and much taken advantage of. The bay is well-known as a yachting centre, and the Royal Ulster Yacht Club and several sailing clubs make it their headquarters. Frequent visits are paid by the ships of the Royal Navy, who find good anchorage close to the shore. The Bangor Golf Club has a fine 18-hole (inland) course and commodious clubhouse adjacent to Hamilton Road, the greens being particularly good. There is also the 9-hole course of the Royal Belfast Club at Carnalea, about a mile from Bangor. There is a frequent service of trains on the Belfast and County Down Railway to and from Belfast.
Area of parish—17,015 acres
Population (1901 census)—9,666; urban district (1901 census), 5,903
POST OFFICE—HEAD OFFICE, MAIN STREET
—Postmaster, Joseph Breen.
Town Sub-Offices—Ballymagee street and Ballyholme
From 1st October the Merchants' Half-Holiday takes place on Thursdays until end of May following. All the principal shops close from two o'clock on those days
LOCAL INSTITUTIONS.Urban District Council—
PLACES OF WORSHIP
Church of Ireland—Rev. J. I. Peacocke, B.D., rector; Rev. J. Quin, B.A., curate; R. Jones, organist
First Presbyterian Church—Rev. John Waddell, B.A., pastor; assistant, Rev. Thomas Patterson, B.A.; organist, A. E. J. M'Creary
Second Presbyterian Church—Rev. R. J. Morrell, pastor
Hamilton Road Presbyterian Church— Minister, Rev. W. A. Hill, B.A.
Sandy Row Methodist Church—Rev. R. S. Lee
Centenary Methodist Church—Rev. James Stewart
Salvation Army Citadel, Albert street—11-15 a.m., 3 and 7 p.m.—Ensign Sophia Arthur
R.C. Chapel, Brunswick road—Rev. K. Storey, P.P.; Rev. Macauley, C.C.
Plymouth Brethren—Holborn Hall, Holborn avenue
In Popular Rhymes and Sayings of Ireland (first published in 1924) John J. Marshall examines the origin of a variety of rhymes and sayings that were at one time in vogue around different parts of the country, including those which he recalled from his own childhood in County Tyrone. Numerous riddles, games and charms are recounted, as well as the traditions of the ‘Wren Boys’ and Christmas Rhymers. Other chapters describe the war cries of prominent Irish septs and the names by which Ireland has been personified in literature over the centuries.
The book is also available as a Kindle download.
Join our mailing list to receive updates on new content on Library, our latest ebooks, and more.
You won't be inundated with emails! — we'll just keep you posted periodically — about once a monthish — on what's happening with the library.