MacCLANCY

Of Munster

From Irish Pedigrees; or the Origin and Stem of the Irish Nation by John O'Hart

« MacCarthy (No.15) | Book Contents | MacCoghlan »

Line of Heber | Heber Genealogies

As in page 80, we give the genealogy of this family, it only remains for us here to observe that the MacFlanchada or MacFlancha a quo MacClancy, Clancy, etc., were chiefs of the district called Flaith-Ui-Hallurain, situated between Tulla, in the barony of Tulla, and Clare-on-Fergus, both in the county Clare.

In 1192, Raghnail (or Reginald) MacClancy was promoted to the See of Emly, from the position of erenachship; he died in five years afterwards, and was interred in the Church of Beallach-Conglais. In 1483, Conor Oge MacClancy, head professor of poetry in Thomond, died; and he was succeeded by his Kinsman, Hugh MacClancy. The Hugh here mentioned was chief historiographer, poet, and professor of Brehonism (or Law) in Thomond; he died in 1492.

In 1575, Hugh, son of Boetius MacClancy, professor of Brehonism and poetry, in Thomond, and "one of the most upright of Irish Brehons," died; and, in the year following, his kinsman, Boetius Oge, son of Murtogh MacClancy, chief professor of Brehonism to the Dal-Cas; and keeper of a Biatach, or house of hospitality, died.

A.D. 1578, John, son of Donal, son of Thomas, son of Teige MacClancy, chief professor in Brehonism, to the Earl of Thomond, died; "and there was not a Brehon in Ireland who had a more extensive estate or a nobler mansion than he."

A.D. 1585, Boetius, son of Boetius MacClancy, represented the county of Clare in Perrott's Parliament. This chieftain died at his residence at Knock-Fionn, now Knockfinn Hill, parish of Killileagh, co. Clare, in the month of April, 1598.

A.D. 1641, the Clan Teige O'Brien, commanded by Boetius Clancy, a celebrated chieftain, and "a man of great property and influence in Clare," made a descent on the Isles of Arran, but was defeated with some loss, by the united forces of the Lords Thomond and Clan Ricarde. This Boetius had his residence at Knockfinn, now known as St. Catherine's, in the barony of Corcumroe, but no vestiges of his once well-defended and hospitable mansion now remain. The stones were long since used for building purposes, and a large mound of earth marks its site.

« MacCarthy (No.15) | Book Contents | MacCoghlan »

Line of Heber | Heber Genealogies


Library Ireland Facebook