CONNEMARA...concluded

From Irish Pictures Drawn with Pen and Pencil Richard Lovett

« Previous Page | Start of Chapter | Book Contents | Next Chapter »

From Achill Island the traveller may return to Newport and journey north through a fine district, past Mount Nephin and Lough Conn to Ballina. Or--and by this route he will see the less known parts of County Mayo--he can skirt Blacksod Bay, and reach Ballina by way of Belmullet, Ballycastle, and Killala.

Killala
Killala

The last-named is an interesting little place, the seat of a bishopric which is now united with that of Tuam, and famed for the fact that the French landed here in 1798. The see is very ancient, dating from the fifth century. The present cathedral is a seventeenth century building, occupying the site of the old sixth century church. The Round Tower is a very ancient structure. Formerly Killala was a busy port, but in recent years most of the trade has gone to Ballina. Between these two places are the ruins of Moyne Abbey.

At Ballina the railway is reached, and the traveller feels himself once more in touch with the facilities of advanced civilization, and can extend his wanderings into Donegal, or reluctantly, if he must, turn his face homewards.

Going to Market
Going to Market

END OF CHAPTER VII.

« Previous Page | Start of Chapter | Book Contents | Next Chapter »


Library Ireland Facebook