LISMORE CASTLE

From Atlas and Cyclopedia of Ireland (1900)

« County Tyrone | Book Contents | County Westmeath »

Description of County Waterford | Curraghmore | Reginald's Tower and Quay | Lismore Castle | Waterford Map

LISMORE CASTLE.—Lismore—"the great fort"—was one of the most noted seats of learning in Ireland, when the island was the great school for all Europe. Over 4,000 students thronged its halls, among whom, it is stated, was Alfred the Great. The principal feature of the place to-day is the castle, which stands on the site of a famous university. It owes its origin to Henry II., who visited Lismore when in Ireland, and was impressed with the strategic value of the spot. The structure was erected by his son King John, in 1185. Four years later it was captured and destroyed by the Irish, who slew the. garrison, but was subsequently rebuilt. It has been the scene of many historic events. At the eastern end is the tower of King James, so called from James II. having rested there during the War of the Revolution; and to the rear that of King John, which derives its name from being the scene of the first English Parliament held in Ireland under his presidency. The castle stands on the bank of the beautiful Blackwater, and is at present owned by the Duke of Devonshire.

Lismore Castle, Waterford

Lismore Castle

Description of County Waterford | Curraghmore | Reginald's Tower and Quay | Lismore Castle | Waterford Map

« County Tyrone | Book Contents | County Westmeath »


Library Ireland Facebook