THOMOND BRIDGE

From Atlas and Cyclopedia of Ireland (1900)

« County Leitrim | Book Contents | County Londonderry »

Description of County Limerick | Treaty Stone | Patrick Sarsfield Statue | Thomond Bridge | Adare Abbey | Franciscan Monastery, Askeaton | Limerick Map

KING JOHN'S CASTLE AND THOMOND BRIDGE.—This massive and gloomy structure was erected in 1205 by King John, son of Henry II., and "lord of Ireland." Commanding the only entrance to Limerick over the Shannon it was for centuries the object of contending parties in the various wars, and the marks of cannon balls that its walls bear, give evidence of its strength, and the sieges and battles of which it was the center. It was one of the strongest fortresses erected by the Normans, and is still formidable looking and solid. About a century ago the battlements were dismantled. The seven towers are connected by massive and high walls. The interior is at present used as a barracks. Thomond Bridge, shown in the engraving, occupies the place of the old bridge, also built by King John and taken down in 1838. The celebrated Treaty of Limerick was signed on a large stone near the old bridge, on the Clare side of the river.

Thomond Bridge, Limerick

Thomond Bridge, Limerick

Description of County Limerick | Treaty Stone | Patrick Sarsfield Statue | Thomond Bridge | Adare Abbey | Franciscan Monastery, Askeaton | Limerick Map

« County Leitrim | Book Contents | County Londonderry »


Library Ireland Facebook