THE SQUARE, FERMOY

From Atlas and Cyclopedia of Ireland (1900)

« County Clare | Book Contents | County Donegal »

Description of County Cork | Shandon Church | Queenstown Cathedral | Blarney Castle | Cloyne Cathedral | View of Queenstown | Glengariff Castle | Patrick's Bridge | The Mall | The Square, Fermoy | Cork Map

FERMOY SQUARE.—The pretty town of Fermoy is situated on the beautiful Blackwater, about twenty miles to the southeast of Cork. A century ago it was a poor and insignificant village. John Anderson, having large barrack and mail-coach contracts with the government, gave an impetus of prosperity to the place, and the town has since retained its success. Its proximity to the harbor of Queenstown, and its being the seat of a military barracks of some 3,000 of a garrison give the town a considerable trade. A stone bridge consisting of thirteen arches spans the river at this point, and though built in 1689, it is still as solid as ever. The ancient Gaelic name, Feara-muighe-Feine, signifying "Men of the Plain," has been anglicized to Fermoy. The town is clean and tastily laid out, the square being one of the most attractive spots to be desired.

The Square, Fermoy, County Cork

The Square, Fermoy

Description of County Cork | Shandon Church | Queenstown Cathedral | Blarney Castle | Cloyne Cathedral | View of Queenstown | Glengariff Castle | Patrick's Bridge | The Mall | The Square, Fermoy | Cork Map

« County Clare | Book Contents | County Donegal »


Library Ireland Facebook