CLOYNE CATHEDRAL

From Atlas and Cyclopedia of Ireland (1900)

« County Clare | Book Contents | County Donegal »

Description of County Cork | Shandon Church | Queenstown Cathedral | Blarney Castle | Cloyne Cathedral | View of Queenstown | Glengariff Castle | Patrick's Bridge | The Mall | The Square, Fermoy | Cork Map

CLOYNE ABBEY.—The little town of Cloyne is situated on the east side of Cork harbor, about three miles from the shore. The bishopric of Cloyne was founded by St. Colman in the sixth century. The cathedral which also dates from a very ancient period is a low cruciform structure, but has been so frequently repaired and patched that it is wholly devoid of architectural beauty. Close to the cathedral is a round tower, one of the most curious and ancient in Ireland. Originally it was 92 feet in height, but on the night of January 10, 1794, it was struck by lightning, and its conical top and three of its lofts with the bell was destroyed. An embattlement was subsequently built around the summit, making its present height 102 feet. The ancient name of the town was Cluaine-uamhach, meaning "retreat of the caves," from the number of caves in the limestone rock in the vicinity.

Cloyne Cathedral, County Cork

Cloyne Cathedral

Description of County Cork | Shandon Church | Queenstown Cathedral | Blarney Castle | Cloyne Cathedral | View of Queenstown | Glengariff Castle | Patrick's Bridge | The Mall | The Square, Fermoy | Cork Map

« County Clare | Book Contents | County Donegal »


Library Ireland Facebook